Does holiday gift shopping leave you feeling like the character Wolfstein in Percy Bysshe Shelley’s book Zastrozzi and St. Irvyne? For the very few that may have forgotten that famous passage, I’m referring to the line, “wildered by the suscitated energies of his soul almost to madness.”
If you feel, mad, suscitated, and wildered, you are in luck. I am here to help you. Be wildered no more. Relax and let go of your suscitation. But stay mad if you like. The list of clothing items I have provided (free of charge!) are guaranteed to fit everyone on your gift list for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, National Brownie Day, National Ding-A-Ling Day, National Bouillabaisse Day, and International Talk with a Fake British Accent Day.
1. The Civil Suit – Lawyers love this outfit. Comes mostly in shades of gray. Nothing in black and white is available. Cost ranges from very cheap to outrageous. Must be taken to the cleaners; otherwise, very appealing.
2. Smarty Pants – Do you have a friend or relative who knows everything? Consider these pants. Available in extremely large sizes to cover all sizes of rear ends.
3. Pencil Pants – THE gift for writers and people who draw for a living. Very sharp looking. Proven to help them get the lead out and move on with their careers.
4. The Freudian Slip – For the well-dressed woman. Never worry again in those unexpected moments when your unmentionables show. Tasteful but provocative; leaves everything to the imagination.
5. Flip-flops – A perennial favorite of politicians, they make a perfect gift for your boss as well.
6. Platform Shoes – Another favorite of politicians. Perfect for posing in various positions for the camera. Not for long-term use.
7. The Ad Dress – Do you have any recent college graduates on your gift list? This dress is the one they are all looking for.
8. The Nursing Bra – Do you have a favorite CNA, LVN, LPN, BSN, CRNA, PHN or other medical acronym? Good for you. Do you have a favorite nurse who could use support? Nurse always find this gift uplifting. (Note: not appropriate for male nurses.)
9. The Wool Pullover – Tired of receiving these from other people? Why not buy one for yourself. That way, you can pull the wool over your own eyes.
10. The Straight Jacket – Flummoxed over what to buy your wacky friend or Aunt Edith who lives in the attic? As a fashion statement, they are bold, yet restrained.
11. The Shrink Wrap: This stylish wrap for psycho-practitioners can cover or uncover as much as you like. Also comes in inkblot patterns. Long enough to cover Freudian slips.
Nurses with babies: DN-0083981, Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum.
Glamorous: DN-0087832, Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago History Museum.
20 thoughts on “Eleven holiday gift ideas for the wildered”
May I also suggest the launching pad, a guaranteed supply for paper-airplane aficionados?
I will add that to my shopping list. Great for the office.
A marvelous selection of presents. You’ve made my load lighter. Wishing you and yours, a very amusing holiday
Thank you, Shimon. Best wishes this holiday season for you as well.
Thanks, YS. You’ve covered all my holiday shopping needs!
Glad to be of service.
I am considering but cannot make up my mind – if pressed I think I would choose The Wool Pullover.
I wear one almost all of the time.
I love you. Plain and simple.
That cheers my heart.
Thank you, YS! You’ve just filled in all the blanks on my shopping list. Now it’s off to the maul to go shopping!
Somehow that “maul” exactly fits with shopping during this time of year. 🙂 Very clever.
Another thought is the “In vest”, very popular now, especially on Wall St. Understated, yet daring, and now available in smaller sizes.. ‘Another fine post, you’ve gotten us into…’
I love that and wish I would have thought of it. Brilliant.
Though I’m sure you would have phrased it better than I.
What merchants mostly push on us from December 26th is, of course, the overstocking. Very economical way to go.
Those seem to be merchants’ favorite stockings. 🙂
this one’s hilarious. ahaha, you’re being naughty. 😉
In spite of being naughty, I got several nice Christmas gifts. You never know about that Santa.
he’s got his favorites, huh? 😉 happy new year, ms. yearsticken… 😉